11 March 2008

Fill 'er not quite up


I noticed on my way home from work that petrol had jumped another 1 pence from this morning (according to the Asda sign). It's now £1.039 per litre. Ouchy. In November, it was even £.89, on a good day. I see here that things are pretty bad in the States too, with an average of $3.22 per gallon (bearing in mind 1 gallon = 3.78 litres, you do the rest of the math). The thing is, the lovely British government now takes a whopping 63.7% cut (i.e. tax) of that petrol figure. This tax percentage has been rising increasingly, which, coupled with an increase in petrol per barrel, means Whitehall is making some serious cash. For our little Fiesta, I now spend £120+ per month on petrol alone, this in addition to road tax (yup, we've got to pay tax to use the bloody road!), MOT, insurance and general wear & tear. On yer bike! I hear you say. If only. My office is 15 miles away and there's no safe way to get there by bike, and quite often I'm driving up north, which is a 150+ mile trip. Any suggestions?
At least we don't have it as bad as these guys, or do we...

1 comment:

Tricia said...

I hear ya! At $3.48 a gallon and driving a Suburban (yes I officially have a mom vehicle, scary, huh?)in a city were everything is at least 10 miles away, each trip has to be well thought out. Either that or I'm taking back the Benz and Steve can ride his bike!