24 August 2008

Project Time!

Another month, another project. I've been on the scout for some dressers/chest of drawers to refurnish and found this diamond-in-the-rough on Freecycle. As the name implies, everything's free! This super sweet boy & his dad even delivered the dresser to our place, cos as amazing as the Fiesta is, it definitely wouldn't fit in it!

As you can see, it's a real mess - externally. The structure is sound, though, and wood is very forgiving. So I'm doing the usual strip and then stain/oil job. Thus far, I've just done the frame and now am starting on the drawers. Should be fun!



Top Tip:
If you've got stinky drawers (like we have with this dresser, which had been filled with gardening stuff, sitting in a garage) or just like to have things smell nice, you can make your own drawer liners. I like to have something on the drawer bottom anyway - I mean, it's where my clean clothes are going, right? Here's what you do:

*roll of plain (i.e. not pasted) wallpaper
*essential oils (I like lavander, but there are hundreds of different scents you can use)
*cut paper to drawer size
*sprinkle a few drops of oil on the paper
*roll and leave in a bag for a few hours
*et voila! nice smelling liners that are chemical-scent-free!

1 comment:

jrshinn@gmail.com said...

Good one! Very nice - I can't wait to see the finished project. And the wing-back chair??