29 October 2009

Day out in Edinburgh

Ellie & I got up early on the Friday morning she was here, to take the train up to Edinburgh. We couldn't have asked for a better day! The sun was shining, the sky was blue, and the air was crisp.

We started off with coffee at the Balmoral Hotel, an Edinburgh institution, and then hopped aboard the open-top bus tour. Yes, we were freezing, sitting on the top, exposed; but it was worth it! After that, we went to say hello to the Castle and then dined at the amazing Witchery restaurant. I think I could get used to being a lady who lunches...

We pottered around town for the rest of the day, doing a bit of shopping, and stopped by the Royal Overseas League to see Lauren's (Ellie's sister) exhibition of hunting trophies - all intricately hand-stitched. Beautiful.

I love Edinburgh. Every time I'm there, I'm reminded just how much I love it and how much we both want to live there. Who knows what the future brings!

4 comments:

chuck_stache said...

I really enjoyed Edinburgh as well and would love to go back...

Stephan said...

I wrote an abstract to a conference in Edinburg - if it gets accepted and get the paper done on time there is a good chance to be in Edinburgh next April - may be that will be a chance to viist you guys :-)
Stephan

jrshinn@gmail.com said...

I treid to comment on somma your photos but it won't let me! Says "whoops, there's nothing to see here. Contact the owner for direct access."

Sooo....
1.) Those sinks look like my china pattern. hahaha!
2.) LOVE your hat!! Looks great on you!
3.) Edinburgh Castle is fun; I distinctly remember our visit there with you.
4: Re: Lauren - Way cool. I did not know she was an artist. I'd love to hear more about her work some time.

jboldwyn said...

Wow! Lauren's work is amazing! How long was she in Canada? Did she stay in a Mennonite community?