12 March 2013

Another One Bites the Dust

I managed to complete another project today. I'm flying! Just a couple more "quick" ones to finish before baby arrives and I have other things to occupy my time.

We decided at the outset that we didn't want to buy all new, "baby" stuff because we 1. couldn't afford it; 2. didn't think it was being environmentally or financially responsible to have items you used for only a few months and then threw away; and 3.quite frankly didn't like most of what was around. So we've sought to buy second hand items that can be used beyond baby-hood. 

Case in point is a changing table. Yeah, you need something to put the baby on when changing nappies. But do you need something explicitly and solely for that purpose? I thought not. So I started hunting for a chest of drawers that would do the trick and voila! Came across this gem:


It had been "shabby chic'd" by its previous owners, with more emphasis on "shabby" than "chic". But it was a good solid piece with a great set up, and the price was right. I didn't seem to have taken any photos of the process, but I did a light sand (the paint job was awful - globs everywhere) and primer where needed. Then just painted it white. Both primer and paint I already had on hand from another project, so outgoing cost was  nil.

I had plans to paint the drawers ombre style, trialling a new brand of eco paint. But it turned out to be totally useless paint, so I went with plan B: painting drawers white and stencilling numbers on them. 


I downloaded some templates, marked them out and traced a number. I decided to freehand paint because I felt it gave me more control when using liquid paint (opposed to spray paint). I think it turned out pretty good! Cute, huh. I also had the coloured paint on hand so no new cost. We did buy new legs (to raise the dresser up), which look really great, but the photo doesn't capture them too good. I also replaced the knobs. Just need to get a couple baskets for the shelves and we're in business!
 
 

2 comments:

Rachel said...

This is TRULY impressive!! I LOVE it!!

jboldwyn said...

Agreed! The painting looks great! A very functional piece of furniture.