6 July 2008

Studenterfest - Danish Style




I thought I'd write a bit about an event we attended yesterday, mostly because it was typical of how Danes celebrate (at least in my experience).

Ole's cousin Rasmus graduated from high school and, as is customary in many countries, the family threw a party. Only, this was much more formal than most weddings I've been to.

The event - Studenterfest (they wear funny hats, like above) - was held at Rasmus' parent's house in Køge, a beautiful town in its own right. Everything was outside, so we started with canapes on the lawn and drinks at 1300. Around 1400, we moved to the marquee/tent, where the tables were laid for the meal. There was a self-service bar with beer on tap and lots of drinks and a crazy jukebox, in the sort of entry to the tent. It was beautifully decorated with lots of Danish flags. Anyway, we started with a fish course with white wine and then moved to a buffet with various yummy bbq'd meats and salads (and red wine). After that was dessert - brownie and ice cream with dessert wine. Then came coffee, which was served with conganc (very traditionally Danish) and other dessert liquors, as well as little chocolates. We left at this point because it was about 2100 and we were all hot and tired, but the rest of the family kept going. There was a little meal to be served later in the evening, which would consist of "finger" sandwiches and the like.

It was masses of food, but because it's spread out over so long, you can really enjoy things, so it was quite nice. And as all the family were there, we got to talk to everybody, so that was nice too. We leave for Aberdeen tomorrow. I'll try and get some photos up in the next week.

1 comment:

jrshinn@gmail.com said...

I didn't realize you were still there! I am eagerly awaiting photos.

As for the "pomp and circumstance" surrounding the graduation celebration, I heard a recent NPR story discussing that in the developed world graduation is our society's "coming of age" and we treat it in line with weddings, births, funerals. I guess a diploma carries the significance now that spearing your own ox used to carry.