3 January 2009

Bad gas

Our new flat has a gas stove top (yay!) and a gas oven (boo). These are both different from our flat in Cults, which was all electric. Whilst I love having a gas stove top, the gas oven is proving tricky to master. It's just a gas flame at the bottom of the oven - nothing to circulate the air around. So, whatever you try to bake takes FOREVER to get done, and you risk burning the top and sides while waiting for the middle to get done.

So, I'm looking for advice from those who have conquered the basic gas oven. I would particularly welcome tips relating to bread and cake baking. (I'm going to try putting a tray of water at the bottom next time we do bread - this is supposed to help create condensation, which slows crust formation and thus allows the inside of the loaf to bake. This is yet untested in our oven.)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

For that bad gas, have you tried Been-o's?

jrshinn@gmail.com said...

Your flat has gas? Would you call that "flatulence"?

jrshinn@gmail.com said...

Okay, so I have a gas oven, too. One thing that is imperative is an oven thermometer. (My dial is so inaccurate!) Do you have one already? Try one that you can just hang from a rack and leave in there. Also, position your rack not too close to the top of the oven - either middle or lower. And, lower your baking temp by at least 25 degrees and just keep it in longer. That always helps me. Good luck!