25 October 2008

Still not used to it

I was driving around today when I saw a police car in my rear view mirror. I panicked, checked my speed and tried to remember if I had done any dodgy lane changing at the last roundabout. While I was analysing my driving, the police passed me and did some dodgy lane changing themselves, and I was reminded - again - how different policing is here from the States.

The cops here don't cruise around looking to bust you. You really have to be doing something bad to warrant being pulled over. Unless they're traffic cops, if you see police cars on the motorway, they're not bothered about you - they're likely en route to something else.

Funny how some things are just ingrained in you. After living here for nearly 5 years, I still have a fear of the police, even if I've not done anything wrong. How very American.

1 comment:

jrshinn@gmail.com said...

Can we say, "Police State"? Everybody now!