7 November 2009

New life from dead branches

We have an arbour in our back yard that frames the little passage way to the alley. It has a vine of some description growing up and interwoven around it. When we moved into the flat back in March, it had leaves on it, but they didn't look too healthy. The whole thing never changed in appearance over the summer - it didn't grown more leaves nor did it lose any; the colour and condition of the leaves didn't change or improve. So I decided in September I think, that I'd prune it right back down and leave the vine still woven because it looked nice. I figured it was dead and even hacked into some of the bigger branches to find that the vine was in fact withered and lifeless. It had even passed the Dad test via Skype.

Or so I thought.

Last week, I noticed new leaves and shoots sprouting forth!

The vine when we moved in
 

Doesn't look too healthy, does it?
 

Pruned
 

What ho!
 

New life!
 

So, any thoughts on what's occurred? The new leaves look remarkably healthier than the old ones ever did.

3 comments:

chuck_stache said...

Perhaps an increase in co2?

Unknown said...

For my part, this sounds strange. First, I saw this vine last summer and appeared dead. What's more, it seemed to me to be deciduous (dropping it's leaves in winter), so this shouldn't be pushing leaves at this time of the year.

When you pruned it are you sure the cambium layer under the bark wasn't green and the inner wood moist?

Did you cut the main trunk low and clear through and is it sprouting just below the cut?

jboldwyn said...

I say "wonder woman strikes again"! It's all in the touch, Sarah :)