26 August 2009

The Netherlands

We flew to Amsterdam from CPH early Monday morning, so we checked into our hotel - the Art Nouveau beauty the Eden American Hotel. Mom & Dad got upgraded to a posh room, with a balcony overlooking the fountain out front - lucky!

We spent the afternoon at the Van Gogh Museum, a 20 minute walk from the hotel. There was a moderate queue to get in (a surprise), but the weather was beautiful so waiting wasn't a problem. I think we all enjoyed the museum and learning a bit more about the complex artist, although there were so many people that it was impossible to stand back and take a painting in, thinking about it in a quiet space. This was to become a recurring theme in AMS.

We also took a canal tour on Monday - amazing. You get such a personal feel for the city, and of course get to see all the amazing house boats!

Tuesday was another museum day, with Ole visiting Amsterdam's History Museum and Mom, Dad & I going to the Anne Frank House, where we waited 30+ minutes to get in. It was interesting, but hard to be moved by it when you were snaking around the building with hundreds of other people.

Wednesday we drove north to look at some windmills before heading back down south to Germany.

Amsterdam was a great surprise. I loved the city, although it was incredibly crowded in the centre with tourists. But it had a friendly, relaxed vibe - perhaps something to do with cycling? I can't wait to go back!


2 comments:

jrshinn@gmail.com said...

Finally a few minutes to get caught up on your blog! Fun to read what all you did together. It certainly sounds like a different trip from ours. Great pics.

chuck_stache said...

This too is one city I'd love to revisit. So, you think it was busy when you were there? Try going during the Tulip festival!!!