25 August 2009

Sweden

As said, on Thursday & Friday of our Denmark week, we decamped for Sweden. Niels had rented a massive van to fit us all in, and we blasted our way up past Copenhagen to take the ferry from Helsingor (where we saw the Castle) to Helsingborg in Sweden.

We, or rather Niels, did a lot of driving on Thursday. We drove up through Småland (home of Ikea!)and eventually ended up in the area known as the Kingdom of Crystal. We stopped by some workshops and watched the craftsmen blow glass, and shuddered to think what the various health & safety organisations in the States and UK would have to say about it.

We spent the night at a fantastic hotel in Kristianstad, which is actually an old Danish city. It is also Sweden's lowest point, which I've only now discovered, and nearby is the Absolut Vodka factory. I wish I had read Wikipedia before going.

On Friday, we explored Kristianstad before returning back home, crossing by the bridge at Malmo.

No comments: